Website & WordPress Tips & Tricks.
Creating content for a website is one thing. Formatting and adding content to a WordPress website is something else. WordPress themes and plug-ins do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, but you still have to figure out how to drive these things in order to achieve your desired result. When that doesn’t work, you sometimes have to resort to raw coding using HTML and CSS. That’s not as easy or intuitive as it could be. WordPress, themes and plug-ins also change over time and upgrading any one of these things can seriously mess with your website. That translates into spending hours and hours trying to figure out how to correct something which was working perfectly fine before you were forced to upgrade it. It gets worse when trying to find or remember an infrequently used trick or technique that got you out of trouble the last time. The joys of website maintenance!
It seemed like the smart thing to do to collect those tricks, tips and techniques into one location where I can find them when I really need them. What better place than the website itself? This is my little repository of things I find useful when adding or changing content. Maybe you’ll find something useful here too. Enjoy!
Quick links to all the tips:
- Anchors (coming soon).
- Colors (coming soon).
- Lists (coming soon).
- Tables (coming soon).
Image Editing & Redaction.
Having copied and pasted the image into Word:
1. Save the image as a .png file.
2. Open the .png file in GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program).
3. View ➡️ Zoom ➡️ Other, then set Zoom to 90%.
4. Click OK.
5. Tools ➡️ Selection Tools ➡️ Rectangle Select.
6. Select the area to redact, then right click, Filters ➡️ Blur ➡️ Pixelize.
7. Click OK.
8. To repeat the redaction, select the area to redact, then right click, Filters ➡️ Repeat Pixelize.
If the image needs a border, add it after redacting but before saving it:
1. Filters ➡️ Decor ➡️ Add Border.
2. Set Border X size to 6.
3. Set Border Y size to 6.
4. Click the border color block, then enter 000080 in the HTML notation box.
5. Click OK.
6. Click OK.
To save the redacted file:
1. File ➡️ Export As.
2. Select PNG image (*.png).
3. Add an “E” to the file name to retain the original unedited file and help identify the edited version.
4. Click the Export button.
5. Click the Export button in the pop-up.
6. File ➡️ Quit, then click Discard Changes in the pop-up.